Healthcare hero – LloydsPharmacy driver delivers medicines on foot after his van got stuck in heavy snowfall

Like Comment

Pudsey resident Terry Ford (68), a delivery driver for LloydsPharmacy, spent four hours on foot in deep snow to make sure vulnerable patients got their medicines, despite having rheumatoid arthritis in both knees.

A delivery driver for LloydsPharmacy for 10 years, Terry delivers essential medicines for two local branches, Butcher Hill and Vesper Road. When the snow hit, his van got stuck so he abandoned it and took to the roads on foot to make sure patients weren’t left without their medicines.

Recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in both knees, Terry spent four hours trudging through heavy snow to complete his 12 remaining drops which would normally have taken him 40 minutes in his van.

Terry said: “I don’t really think of myself as a hero, just someone doing the job they’re paid to do. The conditions were bad – some of the deliveries were down a hill and the gritters hadn’t managed to get on to these streets which were covered in snow and ice. A lot of the patients I deliver to rely on medicine trays, and I didn’t want them to be without. My job is to get medicines to patients and the snow wasn’t going to stop me making sure people had what they needed before the weekend, nor was a bit of arthritis in my knees.”

“Everyone was very appreciative, but then they normally are. I’m often the only person some of these people see or speak to all day so I always try to stop and have a bit of a chat with them. You get to know them, and I didn’t want to let them down so I’m proud that I didn’t”.

Terry has received recognition from the CEO of McKesson UK, parent company of LloydsPharmacy, thanking him for his dedication and commitment, and his story has also been shared internally with his 19,000 + colleagues.

Glenn Jones, Customer Delivery Manager at McKesson UK said: “Our LloydsPharmacy home delivery drivers are an essential part of our pharmacy teams and we’re incredibly proud of Terry for battling through the snow with his arthritis to ensure his deliveries were made. He’s a shining example of the McKesson ICARE values and we’re lucky to have colleagues like him that go above and beyond for the communities we serve.”

Asia Peberdy

Talent Acquisition Coordinator, McKesson

1 Contributions
0 Followers
0 Following